I have learned a lot in the past few years...
1. Sometimes I forget to take my teacher hat off at home. Just today, my 2 kids were arguing during lunch and in my teacher voice I said "Boys and Girls!" (I have 1 boy and 1 girl). My husband started laughing as I corrected myself by saying their names.
2. Even though I teach the older grades (3rd now, but 4-5 in the past) I will still be called "Teacher". Calling them "Student" in reply does NOT change that habit.
3. Students will ALWAYS try to get you off topic. I swear there are about 2-3 who wake up each morning with a mission to get me off topic.
4. No matter how much I promise myself that I will use my plan time wisely, unless I lock myself in my classroom, I always end up talking to someone.
5. The copy machine will always jam up when I need it most....the last 2 minutes of my plan time.
6. I've learned that 3rd graders really do bounce! No matter how much you tell them to sit down, they get right back up 2 seconds later! "Sit down", boing, "Have a seat", boing, "I'll talk with you in a minute", boing, "Raise your hand and I'll come to you", boing....
7. Heads up 7 up is STILL my favorite game!
8. Setting high expectations in your students helps them set high expectations for themselves!
9. Kids will do anything for a Jolly Rancher.
10. Pencils don't work unless they have a very sharp point...Once that sharp point is gone (although there is still plenty of lead), they have to get up and get another pencil or sharpen it **boing, boing** This is what I'm planning on tackling this year....stopping the quest for the sharpest, pointiest pencil!
This was a fun linky. I enjoy thinking back on things and then remembering that it's all starting over again in a few weeks!
Have a great day!