Thursday, April 18, 2013

Geometry

So, we just finished up our geometry unit.  With the Common Core standards, our textbook does not cover what needs to be addressed for 3rd grade....Quadrilaterals.  It was difficult to find the necessary resources to teach this as I had none, but I made it through.   My students seemed to really enjoy what they were learning and they were really grasping the content.  After reflecting on the unit to see what I would do differently for next year, I really decided that I wouldn't do much of the teaching any different.  But, I did decide that I needed to create a hands on activity for them.  I created a Quadrilateral Attribute sort.  Although my students were assessed on the content yesterday, I introduced this activity to them today to see how they did with it.  They really enjoyed it.
This is a picture of the 3 of the mats featuring 6 quadrilateral attributes and their sort.
Students collaborating on the sort.


Students used this sort to determine the similarities and differences between different quadrilaterals.  This was a great visual for them.  Before today, I had just told them and explained to them that a square is a rhombus, but a rhombus is not a square. 

One of the reproducibles for them to fill out from this sort.  
I really liked the conversations that were coming from this activity, and they had already finished the unit.  As all teachers say...Next year I will...  Next year this will be an activity to help introduce the attributes and to finish it up.  If you are interested in this product, you can get it here.

What are you saying "Next Year" to?

Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment