Monday, April 8, 2013

I got published!

A few years ago, I sent off a vocabulary idea to The Mailbox Magazine.  I was thrilled when I got the letter stating that they were accepting my idea!  It took almost two years, but it was published this Winter in the Intermediate version.

Here is a picture of the writeup.
That's me, Andrea Halterman

I have done this with my students for years.  As an ESL teacher, the 4 language domains are Speaking, Listening, Reading, and Writing.  In addition, students need many exposures to words to have complete understanding of the word.  This year, students are charting all the vocabulary words that they have learned (academic areas and reading vocabulary) this year.   In the past I have done individual incentive charts.  That turned out to be very time consuming and hard to manage, especially when they filled up a chart.  This year, I have a class sticker chart that I have hanging on my door.  Next year, it will be a much prettier chart.  Students get stickers for:  finding vocabulary words in anything that they read, hearing another person saying the word (and yes, I count), using the word in their writing, and speaking with the word in a complete sentence.  This is most useful in the academic area.  I'm finding the most success with this in math.  
Our class vocabulary sticker chart.  Each student has their own square.
Have a great evening!  It's finally starting to look like Spring!

12 comments:

  1. Awesome!! I had an idea published in Mailbox years ago, at the beginning of my career! I've since improved on my idea, but such a fun start! Way to go!

    I found you from the TpT forums... I'm your newest follower! I am also a very new blogger - I'd love it if you popped over and checked out my blog as well!

    Erin
    Mrs. Beattie's Classroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was very excited to finally see it published. I went over to your blog and followed you! :)

      Delete
  2. This is a great idea! I work in the ESL industry too and had never thought of this before :D

    Catia
    http://1teachermom.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I started out as an ESL resource teacher and developed this idea then. It has since evolved and I am always improving on it.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on getting published!!! What a great accomplishment!!

    Carrie
    Table Talk with C & C

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is SO cool! Congratulations. The Mailbox is such a great company. Wow, nice work! The Learning Lab

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That is awesome to be published in the Mailbox. I love your vocabulary idea. That is such an effective way to get students to "own" those voc words!
    Pam

    Visit Me At Teaching By The Sea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! My kids are very motivated by this. It's great for my ESL kids.

      Delete
  6. Congrats! I think its my goal to publish something...guess I need to come up with something good first:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful to have something published :)

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete