Thursday, April 4, 2013

Encouraging students to read.


I started a reading incentive program with my students a few years ago.  I noticed that they were not completing many of the books that they were reading.  They were reading.  They were reading everyday in fact.  But, once library day came, they returned their books, half finished.  So I started using goal setting and bookmarks for reading.  
1.  Students set a monthly goal for the number of books they are planning on finishing.
A copy of  our goal setting sheets.  We keep them in our data notebooks.
2.  Students fill out bookmarks.  On these bookmarks, they write a summary of the book that they have written.  Next year, they will also be writing a recommendation for the book.
A copy of this years bookmark.

What I'm going to use next year, front and back.

3.  Students get to add a sticker to our data wall chart.  To hold all students accountable, students who read over their goal, get to add a colored sticker to the top of the chart.  All other students add silver stickers to the chart.   When everyone reaches their goal, they receive a classroom award.
Our reading data wall.

4.  I have students keep their bookmarks on a ring in our classroom library.  They are very proud of their bookmarks and always count their bookmarks.  I challenged the students to try to read 40 books this year.  The picture above shows the bookmarks that 1 student has done so far this year.

5.  Next year, I'm going to have my students also keep a yearly chart on the number of books they read.

Here's a link to this product at my store.
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Independent-ReadingData-folder

Have a great night!

3 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea! Fantastic way to motivate students in their independent reading!

    Carrie
    Table Talk with C & C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you! And thank you for pinning it!
      Andrea

      Delete